Saturday, August 23, 2008

The Elvis Spectacular

As some of you may know, I have attended several Elvis Tribute shows in the past two years. This weekend I attended an Elvis Spectacular at the Hanover Theater in Worcester, MA. The show featured three Elvis impersonators who represented each era. There was a 1950's Elvis, a 1960's Elvis (68 special) and a 1970's (las vegas) Elvis. This type of show, featuring three artist's was my second such show. The venue was great. I have been to this theater before, but it was a great location for the event. I recommend the Hanover to anyone. My seats were about 10 from the front, yet I felt very involved in the show and was very happy with the seating. My one query with the night was the band, I felt that they were not well timed, and not very skilled with the music presented. There was just something lacking, and at times it really dragged, and held back the speed of Elvis.


The show began just after 8pm, and the first Elvis; Donny Edwards performed the 1950's Elvis. I was not able to take photos, but found some photos online. The photo here is the same suit he wore at this performance. I have seen Donny Edwards before in another show at Mechanics Hall, also Worcester. Donny Edwards is very active onstage and brings to life the type of showmanship that Elvis really possessed. Donny is a great dancer, and played all the crowds favorites. One of the things I like about Donny is that he not only is genuine, but looks like he is having a lot of fun out there. Donny achieves the appearance of Elvis, the voice and the moves. I like his youthfulness, and intensity on stage. He is by far a favorite of mine. I would love to see him again and again.




The second performer, Ryan Pelton, portrayed the 1968' NBC special, refereed to as the '68 special'. This leather adorned singer brought to stage some of the more obscure songs of the special, and the 1960's. I actually did not recognize one of the songs, and I have seen the special many times. Ryan has won many awards, and performed on American Idol with Celine Deon. This performance brought Elvis to life, however it was not my favorite performance of the night. I felt that Ryan missed the mark with some of the song selections, and could have done a longer set. I don't feel like I got enough from him to get a really good judgment on his skills. The songs he sang did not really give me the 'Elvis' voice feeling, but he was a good singer!


The third and final performer, a Mr.Doug Church portrayed the 1970's Las Vegas Elvis. This was my first time seeing him perform, and I was blown away by the clarity, and genuineness of his voice. The songs were very well done, and he was able to reach those 'Elvis notes' to perfection. I really enjoyed the fact that his voice was just that amazing. Doug Chruch also has been in the business a long time, and has a long list of awards. He plays a great 1970's Elvis, and with his experience there is no doubt that he does it justice. His stage presence was lacking slightly, but it might have been the suit. The suit seemed cumbersome for Doug. Overall the songs he chose were great, and the crowd really responded. I would have to say that I would see him again, and really enjoyed my experience.

No comments: